Monday, July 25, 2011

The 7 days of the week

Today we were talking about the days of the week.

I'm putting a calendar corkboard together (a little inspired by Counting Coconuts :) but it's not pretty enough for photos yet!

I think this sweet *Days of the Week * Rainbow Wheel* is though:



L and I were discussing the fact that there are 7 colours of the rainbow and 7 days of the week so if seemed like a great idea to combine these thoughts.

The wheel is very easy to make. Take 2 paper plates & trim one down to make the smaller circle. Divide the plates into 7 equal parts - a little more than 51 degrees if u happen to have measuring apparatus on hand - I didn't & mine is a little skew but I think it's still okay.

Colour each section it's own rainbow colour (in order) Red * Orange * Yellow * Green * Blue * Indigo * Violet.

When that's done, write the names of the days in sequence around the plate.

The smaller plate introduces a 2nd concept: Yesterday * Today * Tomorrow. Attach the 2 plates at the centre with a brad so that the top plate spins.


Voila!

The child lines the 'Today' segment up with the current day of the week and can also see what 'Yesterday' was & 'Tomorrow' will be.

Lovely has done so much brilliant self-motivated writing today that when he didn't want to write all of the days himself I was happy to offer to help.

I think this is a wonderful crafty learning activity. The child can "see" the cyclical nature of the week; the particular sequence of days; the names of the days & how they're spelt for future reference; the concept of Y*T*T; as well as the sequence of the colours of the rainbow! Beautiful.

Fb Comments
6 Comments
Disqus
Comments :

6 comments :

  1. I love that! I can see how it could become a "shelf work" in a busy classroom too. That's got me thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally could become shelf work.. I think what makes it so great is that it came from the idea connecting the 7 colors to the 7 days. That's awesome! Thanks for the comment too the other day :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this days of the week pinwheel. I and my four year old grand daughter made this. She does not read yet, so we added cute stickers on each day and this really cues her to what the words say. We also added a magnet to the back and it is on the refrigerator. She comes in every morning and changes the dial to the correct day. I ask her what was yesterday and what is tomorrow. This really is helping me teach her.

    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just shared your fabulously easy idea on my Fb page! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...